Pages

Wednesday 1 April 2015

Stealth Plastic

My Zero Plastic Waste challenge started today and it's all going well so far. I'm all set up with my canvas bags, lunch box, milk delivery round, reusable refillable bottles (for everything you can imagine!) and my all-purpose glass jar of coconut oil (you'd be surprised what you can do with coconut oil!)

No matter how prepared you are though, you always have to be on the look out, because some plastic sneaks into your life quietly, like a ninja.

Take this bottle of olive oil, for example.


Looks like a glass bottle with a metal lid, doesn't it? BUT NO! Take a look inside and there's a sneaky bit of plastic hiding in the top of the bottle, and another bit in the lid. Ninja plastic!



And when you're out and about, I've discovered you always need to carry a reusable cup with you. The other day, I went to the Frack Free Festival at the Attic on Stokes Croft. They didn't have any glasses behind the bar - only plastics - and disposable ones at that. 

I went to donate blood the other day and was faced with a mountain of plastic cups, and snacks wrapped in plastic. You HAVE to drink a pint of water or squash before you donate - it's the law or something - and they force feed you tea (in a disposable plastic cup) and snacks afterwards too. I think it's the one time scoffing biscuits and crisps is positively recommended by health professionals.



I got away with not using the disposable plastic cups because I had taken my reusable water bottle with me, and I refused the tea, but HAD to have a packet of ginger nuts. I might have fainted or something otherwise. Honest. 

These don't count as a slip-ups by the way, because they all happened before the 1st April. If I dispose of any plastic during April, then my forfeit is to walk through the centre of Bristol wearing nothing but plastic bags. And I'll do it too, just watch me.

So far I have been "sponsored" by 5 fantastic people:

Giles has pledged to cycle instead of drive for 2 months, saving an estimated total of 141kg of carbon dioxide. Way to go, Giles!

Lindsey has pledged to stop overfilling the kettle when she makes tea, which will save an estimated 9kg of CO2. Thanks Lindsey!

Kat has pledged to give up food wrapped in plastic for 2 months, but is having trouble with the website (I've emailed them about this Kat and they said they would look into it). Good luck Kat!

A mysterious individual who goes by the name of AzureBlue has pledged go vegan for 1 month! If this is you please let me know who you are so I can shake your hand! This adds another 55kg of CO2 to the total.

Plus Tom has pledged to stop smoking, which will save 4kg, AND to stop flying to visit his girlfriend in Holland every other week, which will save a massive 3280kg of CO2! Although I can't really claim credit for the quitting flying - he has moved to Holland, and not because of this!

So in total, we're making a potential saving of 3489kg of CO2 so far! (Plus whatever Kat saves)





No comments:

Post a Comment